Sunday, October 12, 2014

Mama and Her Girl

Trust GOD from the bottom of your heart; don’t try to figure out everything on your own. Listen for GOD ’s voice in everything you do, everywhere you go; he’s the one who will keep you on track.  (Proverbs 3:5-6 MSG)

This being a Mama thing is hard sometimes.  My little miss of a girl will test me occasionally with her "I will push all your buttons, Mama" attitude.  She especially likes to pull this attitude out in the middle of the grocery store or while in the doctor's office, or wherever it's the most inconvenient.  Picture a preschool girl melting down rather loudly and a frazzled mama trying to get her girl to just stop already.  You get it, the tear soaked face of a little girl and a mama trying to discipline in love but barely hanging on to her last nerve and shred of I should know how to do this mentality.  It's an awful feeling and an even more awful situation. You see, my first gut reaction is to do what I already know, but that doesn't always work.  What I know to do may work one time but not the next time.  My mama knowledge is sorely limited, and I quickly come to the end of myself.  To be honest, it shows in my frazzled face and my posture that says I just want to crawl in a hole with my girl because I'm so embarrassed and can't believe she is doing this to me right now.  You see, I'm not seeking God in the first moments of my girl's meltdown.  What would it look like if I did?  I think the situation would still be hard, yet God would open my eyes to His direction of how to handle my girl.  I could trust Him to lead me through the meltdown with more wisdom, grace, and truth as I firmly but lovingly discipline my daughter.  Will I get it right every time, no.  Will I still be frazzled at times, yes.  Will my girl still chose to push my buttons, yes.  Will I still try to do it all by myself at times, yes.  The beauty and truth in all this comes down to me genuinely seeking and being aware of God's love and His leading.  He didn't leave me hanging out here alone.  He is always with me just as He promises in His Word.  In my flustered Mama moments, I just need to seek Him, trust Him, hear Him, obey Him, and love Him, and He will surely take care of the rest.  I will be a better Mama because I'm grounded in my God and my girl will learn and grow because I choose to love her enough to raise her in God's precious Truths. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment